The RequirementONE Solution Store now includes a template for implementing the NIST Cybersecurity Framework. If your organization wants to adopt NIST Cybersecurity, it is easier than ever to use RequirementONE to access the guidelines and customize them to your unique situation and needs.
Launched February 2014, the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Cybersecurity Framework is a voluntary guide. It was designed to foster risk and cybersecurity management communications among both internal and external organizational stakeholders.
Organizations need standards, guidelines, and other publications in order to effectively and efficiently manage their security programs, protect their information and information systems, and safeguard customer privacy. NIST provides standards, guidelines, tools and technologies to protect information systems, including:
- Confidentiality of information
- Integrity of information and processes
- Availability of information and services
The main components include guidance to:
- Identify – scanning and discovering devices to understand what assets are being managed
- Protect – defending assets based on their importance
- Detect – setting baseline patterns to enable you to identify anomalies on your network
- Respond - a communications plan or approach for when an event occurs
- Recover – getting back to a trusted state and incorporating the lessons learned
The Framework is only guidance
It needs to be customized by each individual organization to meet their unique risks. The NIST Cybersecurity Framework is not recommend to be implemented as an un-customized checklist or a one-size-fits-all approach for organizations. Thus, when the template is selected in RequirementONE it can easily be edited and customized to meet an organizations situations and needs.
Benefits of Adopting the NIST Cybersecurity Framework
For most organizations, regardless of their industry or whether they own or manage their critical infrastructure, the NIST Cybersecurity Framework is valuable to adopt in order to improve risk-based security.
It also can deliver other benefits that include effective collaboration and communication of security approach with executives. It can potentially minimize legal exposure and assist with regulatory compliance.